Built to Last was Grateful Dead’s last solo album, however, the band continued to tour until Jerry Garcia’s death on August 9, 1995. They would then rebrand themselves in 2015 as Dead & Company, as they continue to this day. This album contains the most songs by Brent Mydland, all in collaboration with John Perry Barlow. (Robert Hunter wrote the rest)
Jerry Garcia: vocals, guitar
Bob Weir: vocals, guitar
Phil Lesh: bass
Brent Mydland: vocals, keyboards
Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann: drums and percussion
- “Foolish Heart”: This song’s pretty decent. I like Jerry’s vocals and the keyboards.
- “Just a Little Light”: Of the four songs featuring Mydland on lead vocals, this one is the one I like the most.
- “Built to Last”: Another pretty good song for Garcia. Probably one of my favorite songs from the album.
- “Blow Away” : This song’s all right, but it’s not aged well.
- “Victim or the Crime”: Of all the songs on this album, this one feels the most of its time. It’s longer than it should be.
- ” We Can Run “: Another song that I feel hasn’t aged well, but it’s not bad.
- ” Standing on the Moon”: This is one of the best songs. The rhythm and bass are great.
- “Picasso Moon”: Of the two songs featuring Bob Weir on lead vocals, this is my favorite.
- “I Will Take Yu Home” : I’m not a fan of this one, it’s kinda boring.
Final Verdict: This wasn’t a good album to go out on. It wasn’t bad, but it felt very manufactured, like there was little energy.