Workingman’s Dead reached #27 on the Billboard Albums. It was certified Platinum in 1986.
Jerry Garcia: lead vocals, lead guitar, pedal steel guitar, banjo
Bob Weir: vocals, guitar
Phil Lesh: bass, vocals
Pigpen: keyboards, percussion, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann: drums, percussion
Mickey Hart: drums, percussion
- “Uncle John’s Band”: I like the bluegrass style of this and its harmonies. The song has also been covered by the Indigo Girls and Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
- ” High Time”: More great harmonies on this one too. It’s got a good country feel.
- “Dire Wolf “: A great concert staple with a good folksy feel. One of the best songs on the album.
- “New Speedway Boogie”: A great romp with a fun rhythm.
- “Cumberland Blues”: An excellent bluesy tune. Another one of my favorite songs.
- “Black Peter”: This is the song I like the least, but it’s still good.
- ” Easy Hunter”: Some good vocals from Pigpen here. This has some great instrumentation.
- “Casey Jones”: Another one of the most famous songs on the album. Robert Hunter has said that the song just popped into his head. One of my favorites.
Final Verdict: This album was excellent. I wish I could have been in the studio to watch it all happen.