Aoxomoxoa was one of the first albums to be recorded using 16-track technology. According to manager Rock Scully, the title is pronounced ox-oh -mox-oh-ah. This is the only album where Garcia sings lead on every track.
Jerry Garcia: guitar, vocals
Bob Weir: guitar, vocals
Ron “PigPen” McKernan: organ, percussion
Tom Constanten: keyboards
Phil Lesh: bass, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart: drums, percussion
- “St. Stephen”: This song references the first martyr of the Acts of the Apostles. I like the rhythm of the song.
- ” Dupree’s Diamond Blues “: An excellent bluesy number with some good keyboards.
- ” Rosemary”: This song was too short.
- “Doin’ That Rag”: Probably my favorite song from the album. This song just rocks.
- ” Mountains of the Moon”: Really like the vocals on this. Some excellent guitar riffs.
- “China Cat Sunflower “: One of the weirdest songs I’ve ever heard. I like it.
- ” What’s Become of the Baby”: This is supposed to be about Jesus’s birth, but the lyrics are difficult to understand. Luckily, a friend provided me with the lyrics.
- “Cosmic Charlie”: A pretty good trippy closer for the album.
Final Verdict: Despite having trouble understanding some of the album, I liked this one a lot.