Who Do We Think We Are is the final album to feature the Mark II lineup of Deep Purple until they reunited with Perfect Strangers. Two singles were released: “Woman From Tokyo” and “Super Trouper” (although the latter was only released as a single in Europe). The album reached #11 in the US and #4 in the UK. The name comes from typical fan mail the band often received.
Ian Gillian: vocals
Ritchie Blackmore: guitar
Roger Glover: bass
Jon Lord: keyboards and organ
Ian Paice: drums and percussion
The album was engineered by Martin Birch.
- “Woman From Tokyo” : This is a great single, with a nice hook. Gillian’s got some swagger in his delivery.
- “Mary Long “: While I like the melody fine, the lyrics are kinda cringey to me.
- “Super Trouper”: This is a good song with some nice drumming.
- ” Smooth Dancer”: This has a good groove. One of my favorite songs.
- “Rat Bat Blue”: Despite the silly title, this isn’t bad.
- “Place in Line”: Another one of my favorite songs. Paice has a good rhythm.
- ” Our Lady”: I think this was a bad choice for a closer. The guitar sounds bad.
Final Verdict: This is a pretty good album all around. I don’t like it as much as Machine Head or In Rock, but I don’t think it sucks.