This week, I interview fellow autistic Catholic Chris Cairns, who also happens to be a member of the Knights of Columbus!
- How long have you been a Christian? I have been a Christian my whole life. I was baptized Lutheran as an infant, and was an Evangelical from the ages of 8-14, Lutheran from the age of 14-19. Then I joined RCIA.
- What was your childhood like? My childhood was fairly normal until my Dad died. He had brain cancer. I had to go through life without a Dad. I did have a good mom though.
- Why did you join the Knights of Columbus? I joined the Knights of Columbus because I wanted to surround myself with good Catholic men and be able to promote Catholicism through my counsel.
- Can you explain what the Knights of Columbus do? The Knights of Columbus are the world’s largest charitable and fraternal in the Catholic Church. They help provide life insurance in case anything happens and your family needs support, and they help with pro-life and pro-family causes. The Knights were behind the persecution of Christians by ISIS being labelled a genocide. In Iraq, the Knights have pledged to help rebuild a village that was majority Christian.
5. What is the significance of each of the levels in the Knights of Columbus? Which one are you? The first level is all about charity, second level is unity, third is fraternity, and fourth is patriotism. The fourth level is purely optional, and fourth degree Knights are the only ones with the uniform. Fourth degree knights are the show of the order, and usually accompany the Bishop or Cardinal, serve as honor guard at funerals, etc.
6. What is your favorite Bible verse and why? John 14:6 is my favorite. It shows why I am a Christian, and it helps me promote the faith to non-Christians.
7. Who is your favorite biblical figure besides Jesus? Moses, by far. I also love the apostle Paul, St. Peter, Joseph, foster father of Jesus, and of course Mamma Mary.
8. What evidence can you give for God’s existence? Look around you, there is evidence of him everywhere. Where did the trees, the oceans, even the stars in the sky come from? They didn’t come from nothing.