For this month, I am interviewing a good facebook friend of mine named Shahayla Shadburne, who I met on Christian Anime Alliance. She is an interesting person and I think you will enjoy this post.
1. Tell me about your childhood.
I was born on a reservation, I was the only white girl so I got a lot of good and bad attention. I had a pretty good childhood, chasing rez dogs, going on hikes with the guys, and following my 10 kittens wherever they went.
2. What do your parents do?
My parents are the head of a ministry that writes discipleship materiel for Native Americans. They also teach bible studies, and at one point a youth ministry.
3. Why are you Christian?
3. I used to study all sorts of religions and Christianity is the only one that truly teaches Grace and Love. All other religions have a set of rules or practices that you MUST do, or you wont be happy, or go to an after live or so on, Christianity is the only one that I have come across that is clear that Humans can’t be perfect, we need to just give God our life and he will help us with the rest.
4. Favorite bible quote?
I have two,
“The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.” Psalm 145:18
” I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go : I will guide thee with mine eye” Psalm 32:8
5. Favorite Biblical figure?
I have always loved Ruth, she is the picture of a strong, loving woman.
6. What do you want to do now that you’re out of High School?
I’m thinking of going into YWAM DTS training, or some sort of missions trip, and then going to college at Northwest university for intercultural studies.
7.You’ve told me you have friends who aren’t Christian? Any advice you would give to other Christians who want to reach out to other faiths?
Be a friend, sometimes its good to not preach all the time at them, but just be a good friend, if things come up that you don’t agree with, plainly tell them your opinion, but don’t be judgmental. Also I try to pray for opportunity to reach out, sometimes my friends will ask questions about Christianity.
8. You strike me as a very outspoken Christian. Is there any reason you do this?
Honesty is really important to me, I find that if I’m clear about what I think, things are open more for discussion and then I can learn about what others think and evaluate what I believe based on the bible.
9. Do you have any relations to any Native American tribes?
We have none but I have many family friends that are native American, and living with native Americans so much it kind of feels like I am one myself now.
One thought on “One Faith, Many Paths: Shahayla Shadburne”
Wow, Good interview. I really liked. Thank you once again. An interesting young person indeed, may God bless her abundantly. 🙂